Saturday, September 3, 2011

Max. Markus. Museum. Coffee. Kids. Cathedral.

Blogging is a seriously underrated way to procrastinate.

Things I’ve noticed about Germany:
·    coffee here is blacker than tar (But, man is it delicious.)
·    coffee also always comes with cream, sugar, and a small biscuit (L)
·    dogs can go anywhere that humans can (Literally.)
·    small children are not well disciplined and wander around everywhere unchaperoned (I had one kid surprise me obnoxiously while I was walking and reading a pamphlet.  We both got a good laugh out of it, but still.  Rahude.  Then, today I was sitting outside a restaurant eating a salad, and some kid stops at the table, stares at me, and says sarcastically, “Guten Apetit.”  ???  I’ma kill me some small German children.  I’ve been tempted to grab them when they do something rude, and tell them that they should tread carefully, because in America, naughty children are beaten bloody with large, pointy sticks.)
·    no one ever cards you.  (Ever.  For anything.  Not cigarettes, not alcohol…nothing.  It is so.weird.)
·    Bailey’s is much stronger than I thought (But, it tastes a.may.zing with coffee.)
·    people can walk down the street, obviously drunk, yet still drinking a beer, in the middle of the day, during the work week, and no one thinks anything of it
·    museums are free (I was geekin out.)
·    last but not least: evidently, I’m a hot commodity (I seriously do not understand.)
My days here in Giessen are so chill. I wish it was possible to live like this forever. I suppose, this is what rich people feel like all the time. J Yesterday, I sat and drank a cappuccino in my favorite café (yes, I have a favorite café already) and did some more walking around town. (Thank goodness I figured out the bus system. I might have killed myself otherwise.)  I discovered a delicious ice cream place right by a mall. A huuuuuuge mall. Seriously, it was so big that it had grocery stores inside it. What kind of mall has full-on grocery stores inside it? Whatever, it was awesome. There was this great coffee place right next to a videogame store where I bought a Bailey’s Coffee auf Eis. It was delicious. And potent, apparently. My bad. All this being said, I spent way too much money on food items yesterday. Being frugal is going to be something of a difficulty this year. 

When I returned to the Jugendherberge yesterday evening, I started working on school work for a while.  Sort of a bummer after a day of exploring, but what must be done, must be done.  Anyways, at around 10:30 at night, two guys (whose names I soon learned are Max and Markus) came into the lounge where I was working and asked me if I wanted to come outside and hang out for a little while.  Their English was atrocious (almost as bad as my German), but I figured:  breaks with cigarettes are always welcome.  We sat outside for four hours, speaking in two very broken languages.  There were German beer bottles strewn over every inch of the picnic table.  (It was quite impressive, actually.  I’m confident that Max and Markus could drink any American man under the table.)  They are very nice young men, very cute, though maybe a tad forward.  They asked me if I had a boyfriend and then gaped at me in horror when I said no. 
     “Aber, warum?  Nein, ich glaub das nicht.  Das ist verrückt.  Falsch, falsch.”
     “Ich bin zu…um…picky?  Verstehst du ‘picky’?”
     “PIGGY?!!!  Nein, nein!!!  Du bist schön, ganz schön.  Beautiful.  Hot, very hot!”
     “No.”

     “Genau!  Not piggy, not piggy.  Perfekt, oder.  Hot American!  Javoll!”

Drunk.  That’s my guess, though they carried themselves incredibly well.  I would never have guessed, if not for this little merry-go-round of conversation.  This same interaction happened four times throughout the night, in between three half-packs of cigarettes, as I desperately tried to explain to them what “picky” meant and as they tried to tell me that I should be confident in my “ganz Schönheit.”  Hilarious.  Apparently, I’m supposed to come back to the youth hostel in Giessen to visit them in two weekends  and, in return, they will come visit me in Marburg.  Das Leben ist ganz komisch.
Today was equally interesting, but in a far different manner.  Once again, I took the bus into the Marktplatz and wandered around for awhile.  On a random back road that I was travelling down, I found the entrance to a beautiful 400-year-old botanical garden in the middle of the city.  It was wonderful.  Secret Garden-esc wonderful.  There was a greenhouse and a bamboo garden, a dirt path around the extent of the plants, which were all labeled, ponds and fountains, all accessible to the public.  I wanted to throw a blanket down and live there.

This garden is 150 years older than our country.

Part of the walkway and one of the ponds.

This building is 100% ivy-covered.

Around a bend and down the street from the garden was the Altes Schloss.  I found it while I was walking through the seriously bustling Marktplazt near the center of town.  Today is one of two days a week that the street vendors come out and sell fresh fruit and flowers.  It smelled delicious everywhere.  At one point on my walk, I looked up and saw an old ivy-covered building surrounded by a wall.  As I walked around looking for an entrance, I found out that it was now a museum, having been restored after the destruction of World War II.
Giessen was absolutely demolished by the Allied bombings of Germany during the Second World War.  Several historic sites have been rehabilitated and renovated, but much of the town's history was reduced to rubble in the 1940's. 
Giessener Altstadt, June 1948


Thank goodness for the preservation of the Altes Schloss, the town castle -- feudal, I think.  The building is beautiful indeed, but the museum inside *gasp* incredible (not to mention the lady at the reception desk is very sweet and helpful).  There is a courtyard just outside the entrance foyer that houses the castle tower.  It also just happens to contain some of the most beautiful medieval artifacts I've ever seen.  Sitting in the courtyard -- outside...in the elements...with no covering...begging to be touched by curious, oily hands -- were two stone engravings, one of Jesus on the Cross, one of a Christian knight, from the 16th and 17th centuries.  The engraving with the knight had Latin engraved onto the back of it.  (I almost cried.  Literally, it was embarassing.  It took every ounce of self-control not to reach out my hands and drag that piece of stone back to the Jugendherberge with me.)

Upstairs in the museum, one room was filled with medieval works of art: sculptures, engravings, writings, utensils, clothing, coins, paintings...everything.  It was my dream embodied.  I don't think I've ever been so excited or overwhelmed in my entire life.  (Pathetic, maybe.  AMAZING, definitely.)  My first mission as soon as I get settled into Marburg is to ask about this museum's internship possibilities.  Day/life made.



Beauuuutiful.

This is the first view that I caught of it.  I was unsure of what it contained, but I knew that it was old and pretty.

Unfortunately, you weren't allowed to take pictures inside.  :( 

I also visited a few churches in town today, all of which were historic sites.  My two favorites are the two oldest.  The very oldest, built at the town's establishment, is a giant white cube, slapped right in the center of Giessen.  It seats about twelve people, twenty people uncomfortably, but it is lovely on the inside.  There is a large mural of the Archangel Gabriel (I think...) with a crucifix beneath.  The stainglass windows make these amazing shadow shapes on the wall, so that the whole of the small room is strewn with color.  When I went in, it was completely empty.  What an amazing experience.

Yup.  A giant white cube.

My second favorite is the Johanneskirche.  It has the most intricate decorations: gargoyle drains, statues of saints along the buttresses, engravings of Bible verses in German along the entrances, a tall tower with a high sounding bell, stain glass windows, cherubs, etc.  I sosososo badly wish I could have gone inside.  However, kein Eingang during the week.  Major bummage.


 Alllll right.  Done for now.  :)  I apologize for the gushing.  Tomorrow: nach Marburg!   

Liebe Grüße von Deutschland


2 comments:

  1. Dude. DUDE. Die Kirchen! And that garden. I am simultaneously incredibly jealous that you are seeing all this and incredibly happy that you had the opportunity to see it all. And I fuckin' told you you were the hottest thing to happen to Germany since ever. Max and Markus are right on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like that your blogs are part diary part history lesson. Sehr gut.

    ReplyDelete