Monday, August 29, 2011

So much angst...

Pre-flight jitters.  Pre-I'm-soon-going-to-be-in-another-country-by-myself jitters.
Blog synopsis:

"European Adventures" is an incredibly cliche title.  Please, no judgement.  However, this blog will in fact be just that: an account of my experiences in Europe.  For the next year, I'll be in Germany and anywhere else that a passport can take me (on slightly limited funds, of course).  Lord knows, I will starve myself to the bone as long as I can travel as much as conceivably possible. 

For all you Juniatians studying abroad now or in the future, this will also be a "what the Study Abroad Office doesn't tell you in those ridiculous study abroad meetings" blog.  Preparation is key. 

But, one thing I've learned so far:  being prepared and being ready for studying abroad are two very, very different things.

Preparation, of course, includes packing.  A few things (besides the obvious) that I would suggest bringing in your carry-on:

  • a pocket-sized language dictionary (English to German/German to English; English to French/French to English, etc.  Barnes & Noble sells them cheap, as does Amazon.com)
  • books...as many books as you can -- books are an amazing escape, and you can take them anywhere (I'm bringing Sex with Kings and Dune: the Messiah on the plane with me.  So stoked.)
  • copies of your insurance card, social security card, military ID, passport, driver's license, birth certificate, verification of enrollment at college, etc.  (You never know when this information might be important.)
  • iPod (Yet another amazing way to keep people from talking to you during plane rides.  :)  Just kidding.)
  • two changes of clothes (Every site that I looked at for packing instructions says one.  I say two.  At least.  Airlines are awful at following through, and shit happens.)
  • addresses of at least two hotels near your destination airport (Again, shit happens.)
  • phone numbers of people you can contact if something goes awry (Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but it can't hurt.)
  • and, if you really want to torture yourself, a picture of your family or friends (Reminding yourself that you have a solid, loving connection to any part of this world is incredibly reassuring, even when you feel completely alone.)
  • and, of course, Xanax.  (Mwahahaha)

As far as for realz packing goes, that's up to you.  Bring clothes that aren't difficult to hand wash.  It might just come to that.  I would suggest dark pants (they look cleaner for longer), dresses (If applicable. They pack like shirts.  What a win.), a couple of t-shirts (I bought a six-pack of Hanes white v-necks.  They're simple, cheap, and you can throw them right in your suitcase.), appropriate shoes (I almost made my fingers bleed trying to fit all the shoes I chose into a suitcase.), at least one formal or business outfit, a few "damn, that's sexy" outfits, two sweaters, extra toiletries, more books, bedding (if you can fit it), a small sewing kit, and an alarm clock (I don't trust alarm clocks on phones).

Right now, I'm sitting on my porch, smoking a cigarette and looking at the town square.  Sort of masochistic, but no biggie.  There's a train passing, blowing its whistle (because trains like to do that sort of thing at 10:30 at night) and the river smells amazingly like dead fish.  And, it's fahreeeezing.  (Can I get some global warming?...)  Disturbingly romantic, I'd say.  But, I am going to miss it here so much.  Going away always makes me realize how much I love home, especially when I get back. 

Yeah...I think I'll get over it.  :)

Skype: greence09
Phone number: in progress

*warning to readers: This blog will contain copious amounts of seemingly uninteresting historical information.  (Europe has museums that are older than our country.  What can I do?)  A history major cannot not (double negative, I realize) write about history.  History is second only to breathing.  :)

Enjoy.  Respond.  Please, by all means, laugh.

Liebe Grüße  
     

1 comment:

  1. Oh baby, you better believe I'm gonna hit up this blog (It's Alina, btw). You better keep it up to date. I want regular posts with copious amounts of pictures. I want lots of illegal pictures of insides of cathedrals and other stuff you are not allowed to bring cameras into. And lots of pictures of attractive Germans. And lots of pictures of your sexy self being sexy and awesome and in Europe. My expectations are not so great. Please meet them. Hope you had a good flight and settle in easily. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete